Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thanksgiving Vegetables


Vegetables are the main staple for every dinner at our house. Every night we prepare a big salad to accompany what I make for dinner, or rather, what I make as a side dish. Since we have a salad so often I wanted to make the vegetables special for dinner on Thanksgiving day.

I came up with fixing broccoli, carrots, and brussel sprouts. Wait! Don't leave because of my mentioning brussel sprouts - they are yummy! Perhaps you just haven't had them the right way. Stick around to find out a wonderful recipe for some tasty brussel sprouts.

Cinnamon Carrots

2.5 cups sliced carrots
2 TBSP butter, room temperature
1/2 tsp cinnamon
sea salt to taste

Steam carrots until desired tenderness (see below). Remove from heat and place in heat-resistant bowl with lid. Add butter, sprinkle the cinnamon, and add sprinkle of salt. Stir. Place lid on and set aside. Stir again right before serving.

Broccoli

2.5 cups broccoli, cut-up
2 TBSP butter, room temperature
sea salt and pepper to taste

Steam broccoli until desired tenderness. Place in heat-resistant bowl with a lid. Add butter, salt and pepper. Stir. Place lid on and set aside. Stir again right before serving.

Roasted Brussel Sprouts

1 pound brussel sprouts
2 TBSP Olive Oil
1 tsp rubbed thyme
sea salt and pepper to taste
1 TBSP apple cider vinegar

Heat oven to 400°F.

Trim brussel sprouts, remove outer leaves, and cut in half. Place all ingredients but vinegar in a bowl and toss until brussel sprouts are well-coated. Place on a baking sheet, flat side down. Roast for 15 minutes. Turn the sprouts over. Roast another 15 - 20 minutes or until browned and crispy. Remove and place in heat resistant bowl with lid. Stir vinegar in and top with lid until ready to serve. (I made up this recipe from this one and this one.)

I steam most vegetables that we eat. It's quite easy when using this item, although I would love to get the silicone version! I like to have a little crunch in my vegetables so I steam them 5-7 minutes. Since Rooster has joined us at the table, though, I steam for 10-12 minutes to make them easier for him to eat.

1 comment:

  1. Broccoli is great roasted and with vinegar as well!!! I used to steam all our veggies but I have been roasting them lately. It just adds a crunch that we love.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome!
Thank you for stopping by and commenting at Real Food Mamas