Monday, August 10, 2009

Butter


I visited a dairy farm/creamery in Iowa last week and sampled the best ice cream and chocolate milk I have ever had. While there I purchased some cream and learned how to make butter in my own kitchen. A picture of the wonderful result is to the left.

How I did it:

Using a counter mixer, I put the cold cream in the bowl and put the mixer on level 7 (on my mixer the lowest speed is 1, highest is 10) for just over 5 minutes. It will begin to froth up at about 2-3 minutes and then right around 4.5 - 5 minutes butter forms and separates from the buttermilk.

Pour off the buttermilk and save for biscuits, muffins, pancakes or whatever. Take the butter and press until no more liquid comes out (use a cheesecloth, 2 plates, whatever works for you). You can salt at this time or add herbs/spices for flavoring. Refrigerate.

Next on the agenda: homemade yogurt

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome!
Thank you for stopping by and commenting at Real Food Mamas