Friday, August 7, 2009

Dried nonfat milk powder

Since learning about the oxidized cholesterol present in milk powder (and even more so in egg powder) I have avoided it at all cost. Why introduce free radicals to the body when it's completely unnecessary? I have also learned that the ingredients list will not show it as nonfat milk powder. It will simply say nonfat milk. Or in the case of milk, it can be added as a filler or even possibly totally made up of powder.

So, when I looked at the ingredients list to my Mountain High Original Style Vanilla Yoghurt and saw nonfat milk, I became suspicious. After emailing and confirming that they do in fact add nonfat milk powder to their products I will be limiting our purchase to the low fat style. I have found that Brown Cow or Stonyfield yogurt tastes much better anyway, without the fillers. A serious look will be made into other brands to completely eliminate Mountain High out of our home.

I also double checked on Royal Crest milk and they do not add nonfat milk powder to any of their milk. Yay!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info on Mountain High. We've been buying that on and off now for quite some time for B. Are Stonyfield and Brown Cow still the ones you buy...or have you found more that are ok?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of those brands are great - no fillers, no nonfat milk powder. I prefer Brown Cow because it has live and active cultures. I know some research says that it doesn't matter though.

    I make almost all the yogurt we eat. If I need a starter I use either Brown Cow or Horizon plain (both have live and active cultures nec for a starter).

    ReplyDelete

Welcome!
Thank you for stopping by and commenting at Real Food Mamas