Friday, November 20, 2009

My Grandmother's Cranberry Relish




Both of my grandmothers are amazing cooks. This recipe is one of my favorites although it has quite a bit of sugar in it. This Thanksgiving I will be making it without the sugar. I have never made it this way and hope it turns out well.

Here is the recipe, the bold represents changes I will be making:

3/4 cup apple juice (1/4 cup 100% orange juice concentrate + 1/2 cup water)
1/2 cup sugar (omit)
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon (1/2 tsp ground cinnamon)
1/4 tsp nutmeg or allspice (1/2 tsp nutmeg)
dash ground cloves (1/4 tsp ground cloves)
1 12 oz package cranberries
1/2 cup green raisins

In a medium saucepan combine juice, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves (since no sugar will be added I will cook 4-5 minutes). Add cranberries and raisins. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cook and stir for several minutes, until cranberries pop. Remove from heat. Transfer to serving bowl, cover, and chill thoroughly before serving.

I will also be making this on Wednesday so it can chill overnight. I remember it was always better the next day once the spices had a chance to do their thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome!
Thank you for stopping by and commenting at Real Food Mamas