Thursday, November 19, 2009

Swiss Braid Bread


This is a wonderful recipe that I made for Rooster when he was sick a few weeks ago. I put him on the BBRATY (breast milk, bananas, rice, applesauce, toast, yogurt) diet for a couple days and did not want him to consume any sugar. Good luck finding pre-made bread (for toast) with no sugar! So, after searching the Internet, I found this wonderful list of breads. No sugar, no fake sugar - perfect!

Rooster loved the bread - we all did (I even had some - more than I should!).

I've decided to make this bread again as the base for our Thanksgiving stuffing. I followed the recipe exactly a few weeks ago but I think I will tweak it a bit for next week. The following are the ingredients and the bold will be how I most likely will make it:

3 cups white flour (1 cup white flour, 1 cup oat flour, 1 cup rice flour)
1 tsp salt
3/4 ounce fresh yeast (2 packets yeast)
2 Tbsp lukewarm water
2/3 cup sour cream
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup butter, softened

For the glaze: (nix the glaze)
1 egg yolk
1 Tbsp water

I will follow the remainder of the recipe, which you can find via the above link, as to how it's written, minus the glaze. Once warm, I will slice and lay out to dry for a couple hours while preparing the other ingredients for the stuffing.

I will be making this Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving so all we need to do is warm up the stuffing right before we eat dinner on Thursday. It is slowly all coming together, yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome!
Thank you for stopping by and commenting at Real Food Mamas